Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Know What You're Looking For

A key point in looking for another job is to ask yourself a question:

Am I wearing pants today?

Nope, nope, wrong question. But, truth be told, that is always a fair question to ask before venturing out. Anywhoo, the question you should be asking is:

What do I want to do?

Job interviews have never bothered me. In fact, they are easier to prepare for than ever these days. If you don't know how to do your homework, I am certainly not going to tell you here because what if we're up for the same job? Kinda awkward if we walk into the same room, amIright? I would not be above telling the interviewer a batch of heinous lies about you. But, I'm just a dickhead that way. Moving on...

Job interviews go both ways. Yes, they're there to interview me. But guess what? I'm also there to interview them. If I figure out the job isn't right for me, I'll tell 'em so. I've ended more than one interview with a firm handshake, a stern look in the eyes and a ,”Well, thank you for your time, but I feel I am not the one you are looking for. Also, the purple elephant dines in Paris tonight. TONIGHT!!” I'm not above fucking with their heads as I exit.

Great googily moogily!
Those of you who have the extreme privilege of knowing me know I am not a suit and tie kinda guy. I'm not a 9 to 5, sit in the same traffic only to go to the same place every day kinda guy. Many people excel in that atmosphere, I just don't. I've worked in offices before, and I still fear they are just about as functional and efficient as The Office, except without Rashida Jones running around.


I've conducted a thorough self evaluation as to what criteria would allow me to perform to the best of my ability. I don't know that this leads to that dream job, but at least it clears a few things up for me:



I hate meeting new people. In fact, I also hate meeting old people. I am not a people person at all. I like dogs more. Is there a well paying job I can do working with dogs?

I like to take midday naps. So I should probably avoid cube farms. Unless there's an office with a set nap time for everybody. Which actually is kinda creepy now that I think about it.

"Naptime everybody!"


I am not a team player. I am a lone wolf. I am also the God of Thunder, but that is for another day.

I get road rage easily, and consider traffic to be my mortal enemy. I should probably work from home.

I hate getting dressed up. I own less than 2 suits, and most of my ties have cartoon characters on them. I have one tie that is a functioning musical keyboard. I feel most comfortable in board shorts and flip flops in the summer. In the winter I favor pajama pants and my Homer J. Simpson slippers. Notice I didn't say anything about a shirt? YER GODDAMN RIGHT!

Place of employment would have to tolerate me looking at very NSFW material while I am working.

Would also have to tolerate my affinity to say the f-word a few times a day.

Has to be “hammock friendly.”

New place of employment has to believe in the silly notion of raises based on merit, not blindly meeting inefficient Key Performance Indicators.

Having clear start times and end times bother me. I know how to run my day best.

I don't perform well being micro managed. Anything more than 3 emails and 2 phone calls weekly is excessive, mmkay?

If you've heard the term “death by PowerPoint”, you're probably guilty of it. Don't do it to me.

I don't like working nights, weekends or holidays. Already paid my dues.

If need be, I am not opposed to taking a 'work wife', but only if she's cute.

Don't expect an answer after 2 PM on a Friday.




Well, I feel a lot more focused now, I think I made my life easier.

No comments: