Saturday, November 1, 2008

Unsolicited Praise

And isn't that the really best kind? There's nothing quite like hearing someone say they liked something you did. It's certainly not the kind I get from any of you jerkoffs. I write all these Klogs because they entertain me. Yea, I can say it; I make me laugh. I know when I'm up here in the office and I'm giggling like a mad scientist that I am writing something (in my opinion) is funny and entertaining. OK, and there are some klogs where it's just me spewing venom, but for the most part I do this for me, and am fortunate that through this miracle called the Internet that anybody anywhere in the world can read it. With like 14 gazillion sites to read on the 'Net, I ma flattered that handful of people read my stuff. I know a lot of my 'readers', but I hope there are a bunch of people I don't know that happen upon me.

I admit to sometimes getting caught up in the numbers. I will check my blog hits on MySpace and my hit counter here from time to time. Even though (I think ) I do this for me, it's still nice to know I am not another cretin on the Net who thinks his shit doesn't stink. I have to focus and write what I like and hope for the best. If no one ever read my stuff I would still be just as satisfied with it. OK, that's a blatant lie; I do want many people to read my stuff.

I know I haven't written much lately. Like everyone else, I do have real world stuff that I have to deal with. And writing for me is kind of weird. I generally can't sit down with a blank screen and come up with my usual brilliance and witty insight. I usually have an idea floating around in this otherwise empty head. I have a point, I have a general outline, I have some jokes and sometimes even a flow to the klog. I have to have the inspiration and also the time. There are times when I just know that it's "on" and I can klog my heart out. There are other maddening times when I try to force myself to write out an idea and just write utter shit. And you dear reader, certainly do not deserve any more utter shit than you already might have. Let some other internet cretin fulfill that need. There are many.

The time gods have conspired with the inspiration gods-and I hate when they do that-to prohibit me from writing anything good lately. I have plenty of ideas, just not the time or the mood to hack away. Halloween was last night, and I am working it out in my head, and hope to have it all funny-like in a few days. And that Hween post is not to be confused with the one I have to touch up from MySpace about the annual Hween party. (Lesson learned, yes, I can be too drunk to remember/write everything I planned to.) And I have another idea about how I will singlehandedly create world peace. OK, that last one is another blatant lie, but I'm trying not to sound too selfish. Yay world peace.

So it's ironic that I open up my email this morning and get a message from Helium. Helium is the site I post (cleaned up) versions of some of the stuff I write. I haven't put anything new up there for a month or so. I open it up, and it's an email from a guy who read my Hween post from last year, and liked it. (Search the Halloween tag to see the article he is referring to if you feel so inclined)

That is way fucking cool in my world.

To know I wrote something that a stranger agreed with and liked so much that he emailed me is a major kick in the pants. He says my "piece is put together nicely" (uh huh huh) and "moves well". He tells me he related to my experience and I did a nice job telling my tale.

It's ironic how these things sometimes work out. Right when I was in a funk and frustrated because I couldn't write anything decent, I get this from out of the blue. It's something I can bottle up for a while and use for inspiration. It's something I can use whenever I get around to writing the next few klogs. Although I do feel a bit more pressure for this year's Hween post knowing strangers might have expectations for it to live up to. But I guess that is kind of the point.....

As always, thanks for reading, and I hope to get some new klogs up here as soon as possible.

No comments: