Thursday, June 26, 2008

CD Review: Joe Jackson's Rain

Originally written 2/19/8

First off, I admit I am a Joe Jackson fan. While that might make me a bit biased (What? A reviewer admit they’re biased?), it also means I hold him to higher standards and expect a bit more from Joe. Most people know Joe from his biggest “hit” ‘Is She Really Going Out With Him’. However, he’s had a bunch of songs on the radio through the years that you have probably heard. ‘Steppin Out’, ‘Breaking Us in Two’, ‘Obvious Song’, “You Can’t Get What You Want’ have all had fair time on your dial over the years. ‘One More Time’ is currently being used in a Taco Bell commercial of all things. Doesn’t make me want to run out to buy the new Chalupa or whatever, but I am glad he’s making money from it. Presumably, he can now eat for free at Taco Bell while on tour. In a way it’s sad, because Joe is so much deeper than just a few “hit’ songs. His Jumpin’ Jive predated the Brian Setzer lead/inspired pop/swing era by a good 15 years. He had a classical music run in the mid to late 90’s that predated Mc Cartney and Joel’s forays. He has earned a devoted fan base in his almost 30 year career.

Joe’s new album is Rain. Joe stated in interviews that he wanted to challenge himself by writing an album for a trio-piano, bass and drums. In fact, it’s 3/4s of the original Joe Jackson band minus Gary Sanford on guitar and backing vocals. Poor Gary is probably wondering what he did so wrong. Right away the album comes off as a bit sparse. It’s not terribly noticeable, but there are parts where a rhythm guitar or brief solo would inject a bit of life. As it is, there are jazz tinges to the album, if only in arrangement. It’s a bit unique these days to hear an ‘adult alternative’ album with no guitar. Upon repeated listening, it’s not so glaring, but it caught my ear the first time through.

As with most of his pop releases, Joe writes a few catchy songs that stick in your head. A few hours after my first listen I found myself humming tunes (and singing the wrong words-but hey you pick that stuff up the more you listen). Rain starts off with one of the better songs ‘Invisible Man’ into another goodie ‘Too Tough’. The 4th song in, ‘Wasted Time’ brings us to one of his trademark ballads. Joe has always had a knack to write a very sharp and honest lyric to his slower tunes. ‘Wasted Time’ reminds me of Volume 4’s ‘Blue Flame’ or Laughter & Lust’s ‘The Other Me’, both songs I vividly recall to this day. ‘Wasted Time’, like some of the songs that follow, carry a certain nod to 70’s AM radio in the bridges and vocal layering. Some of these songs would sound killer on a scratchy vinyl disc.

Joe’s voice still holds up. In fact, he’s hitting quite a few high notes in the album, almost to the point where it’s a bit distracting. He still plays a mean piano, check out the jazzy ‘Uptown Train’ or mellow ‘Solo’.

If you are a fan, I think you will like this CD. Certainly not every song is solid, but Joe has more than earned his right to throw a few experimentals in. If you are a casual fan, I think there’s enough good material here to make it worth your while. I am sure there are diehards who will like them the most. Joe will be touring theaters this spring (in the US) with his trio and I am excited to see him again.

The packaging for the album is quite nice. And yes, I still buy the CD, and don’t download. The CD booklet has all the lyrics. And as with the early run of Volume 4, the first run of Rain comes with a bonus live DVD with Rain songs and other goodies. Honestly, I’ve been too busy listening to the CD to check out the DVD yet. But I’d be anxious to read your review of it.

No comments: